Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Ice Ice #BTV

I'm a little tired of ice. Don't get me wrong, I love to skate, I've played some hockey in my past, and nothing beats you, a frozen river, and the feeling of flying on water.

I ran my first ice run in early December on the bike path when a half inch of fluff decided to thaw and quick freeze into a black ice layer on the untreated pavement. I joked that it was going to be the first of many ice runs this winter, but didn't understand how true this was going to be. #VTIce13 hit later that month and we just can't get rid of the stuff. We have an almost two inch layer in our driveway ice rink and with this cold even good Kahtoola microspikes just skate on the top of any trail, let alone our sidewalks….

I'm a little tired of ice.

Give me snow. Give me cold. Slushy, messy roads. I can deal, I actually thrive in that stuff. Ice though, that's just waiting to snatch me up and land me hard on a hip or a knee.

Hmmm, maybe I should try running in my old hockey pads….

Until then, the arc trainer and elliptical have been my friend during many of these week days and so far, my Sunday long runs have been in the 30's. I've had no problem running through the slush for 10-12 miles, but then it all freezes hard again.

I'm a little tired of ice.

No comments: