Friday, March 28, 2014

3 Weeks to go!! - Update Letter!

It’s a bit hard to fathom right now here in Vermont, with 6+ inches of snow still on the ground, a lake frozen solid, and temps just climbing into the 30’s today, but there are just over 3 weeks to go until April 21st and the 2014 Boston Marathon!

It has been a very, very long, cold, snowy and icy winter. Definitely a challenge for marathon training, but I have managed to keep to my long run schedule with minimal changes and will basically complete the “real” training this weekend with a second 20+ mile run tomorrow am. I am overjoyed to say that temps are supposed to be in the 40’s and winds under 10mph! Balmy!

Kudos and thanks also go to my amazing donors - I’ve raised $6898 so far. Nearly ½ the way to my ultimate goal of $15,000. It’s definitely not too late to donate and 100% of any donation you make goes directly towards innovative research and new understanding of all types of cancer. When you give to the DFMC team you are directly funding experiments that could be the foundation of the next chemotherapy, the next diagnostic, and the next therapeutic treatments that we aren’t even aware of yet.

Celebrating the strength, love and joy Julie Kelliher and Brian Swift gave to us all is why I run, but they are just two of the many incredible individuals I have known and know who live or lived with cancer. Too many of us find ourselves, our loved ones, confronted with a cancer diagnosis, and while years of study have brought amazing therapies to many types of cancers, there are still more that need their cure brought to light by new research and new therapies. This is what the DFMC team runs for and is why I am again taking on the challenge.

Thank you so much for any amount you can give and for supporting my run and the DFMC team. You can make a donation either at my DFMC webpage or through the mail. Checks should be made out to "Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge" and sent to me at 35 Crombie St, Burlington, VT 05401. In addition, when you make a donation, I will attach a ribbon to my singlet in honor of an individual or individuals of your choosing. Those names, each story, and the love that connects them to me gave me such purpose and courage throughout the 2009 DFMC. I know I will need them in 2014 too!

It's official: my bib number is 26391 and I will be in the third wave departing Hopkinton at 11am. Using my name or bib number you can follow me on the www.baa.org webpage the day of the race or AT&T has an Athlete Alert program as well: http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/att-athlete-alert.aspx

Please email me too if you will be watching anywhere on the course April 21st and let me know about where you will be. Expect a hello and likely a big hug too! My goal is to run strong, but also to enjoy every crazy, wonderful moment of this challenge and amazing course.

Finally, a last shout out to Nate, Brynna, Griffin and Hailey-dog for their patience and support through the last two months of ever increasing miles and hours on the road, but I think they get it.

Momma goes runningIMG_3097.jpg

No comments: