Sunday, April 27, 2014

Teaching Cancer to Cry - For Bobby and Ezra

As I mentioned in my earlier post tonight my 4 hours in Hopkinton before the race were all about meeting and catching up with the other 700 DFMC runners. Balancing the needs of 2 munchkins, 2+ start-ups, the sanity of a husband and pooch, PLUS the polar vortex winter weather, I decided early on not to try and make one of the training runs in Boston. This made things a little lonely, but definitely saner, and all the more important to soak up as much as I could glean from the other runners while waiting for start time.

When I arrived, I settled into a circle of chairs and as I was puttering and eavesdropping caught sight of the back of a shirt as it went by "Teaching Cancer to Cry"


It triggered something in me, but I couldn't place it then. It just resonated and echoed my constant "kicking cancer's butt" motto of both this race and my mindset about cancer. The shirt sat down nearly in front of me and I met Bobby - who after a few sentences, opened a rush of memories and the real reason Teaching Cancer to Cry rang such a true tone in me.


Bobby was running for Ezra. The Ezra who taught me to dance with cancer with his amazing post from 2012: http://rowgirlgoesrunning.blogspot.com/2013/01/sitting-on-sidelines-of-cancer-its-so.html


I don't question these things any more, just suck them in and enjoy the light, the laughter, the love. Thanks Bobby for bringing Ezra right to me. And thanks again Ezra, for your words that helped so much. Glad we were all in the "same" place for a few hours. :-)




No comments: