Sunday, February 9, 2014

Getting myself out the door

As a working parent, my life can get a bit time constrained. Add that to the fact that I HATE BEING LATE, I've got a nice set up for brilliant excuses for not running or getting to a yoga class or doing my core workout, especially during the week.

I've also got a nice set up for getting hurt again.

One of the great pieces of advice from Jack Fulz in our #DFMC25 training guide was to sit down with our plan each week or so and really look at what was working and what wasn't and adjust accordingly. So after realizing my long runs for the last two weeks were longer than the total mileage for the rest of the week and that my hip wasn't ever "feeling better" it was time to revisit and refocus things.

First goal: return to getting 4 "run" workouts in a week.
One thing I have found this year is that the first run of my week after the long run on the weekend is one that I avoid doing on the road, so I've made it officially an inside workout: 5-6 miles on the elliptical and preferably in the morning. Get her done! Those following me on Twitter know this week the am workout did not happen, then the run didn't happen, but the workout still happened, just at 8pm. Never again. Morning it will be.

Second goal: yoga, yoga, yoga. I am not a weightlifter, hate doing my core, detest the "pre-rehab" that I know I should be doing, but get me into a yoga class and I feel like all of that is taken care of, along with my mind too. Finding classes though, that didn't again require me to arrange for kid care or a crazed morning routine was getting hard at my favorite studios, so I bit the bullet and bought the semester fitness card so I could catch classes at work. Even so, it's SOOOO hard for me to kick myself out of the office mid-day even for something I know will make both my body feel better and likely get my head back into gear for a good afternoon's work. I have 3 classes identified: made one this week. A step in the right direction, but 2-3 classes would be even better….and allow this old lady's poor bones and tendons to survive the miles.

Last, but not least, I've finally admitted that swimming in the winter time is just not my thing. Yes, it's indoors, but I was just not getting to the pool. Ever. So trying a few other things to fill in 2 out of the 3 "non-running" days. This week - skating w/a little hockey moves thrown in today and earlier this week: biking and…drumroll please…10 minutes on the erg! A first for me in over 2 years of dealing with this SI joint misplacement. Will start inching that up over the next few weeks…in hopes that rowgirl will start rowing again, when this #DFMC25 adventure is over.

So 7 "workouts" this week, rather than 4, a body that has recovered better than past weeks, no sore hip, and seems to be ready for next week, rather than dreading it. I think the re-haul might have made some good changes worth keeping.

Now, if I could only get my taxes done. :-)

No comments: