Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring in VT

For those of you who have never experienced mud season, it's a glorious time for running: warm sun on your face, soft road under your feet, and a few patches of ice just to keep your attention from wandering too far towards garden plans and summer time adventures. I was actually in shorts and a short sleeved shirt on my run on Tuesday - pity the onlookers as my pearly white legs went flashing by! After being in multiple layers all winter it's a new thought process to pack for my running jaunts during the week and I'm going to have to make sure that all this exposure doesn't lead to sunburn (yes, I always get my worst burn in March/April) or chafing in weird places!

6 miles on Tuesday and a hard 45 minutes on the erg on Wed. Will go out for a run this afternoon, when hopefully the icy wind that returned yesterday subsides and I can enjoy the mud again!

Oh yes, and I bought new shoes...I have my road shoes already breaking in for the racing "season", but it was clear I needed new trail shoes, so I busted the budget and bought another pair of the Brooks Adrenaline ASRs that I ran most of the winter in (a kind of cross trail/road show perfect for dirt, ice and mud) and a striking flourescent green pair of Cascadias for more serious trail running - watch out Catamount Trail Series, here I come!

I feel very spoiled with these shoes and can't wait to use them!

No comments: